Monday 2 April 2012

Aging activist? Moi?

Through my activities as a trainer with Amnesty International I have had an exchange of e-mails recently with a younger (much, much younger!) person. It ended up with the said young person gently reproaching me with the words “you aging activists are all the same”. I was taken
aback: activist, yes, but aging? I was not quite sure how that had happened as just the other day I was 19 and getting ready to explore the world!
After more serious reflection, however, I have to agree with her. It’s sad but true: I guess I am an 'elder' now. Although my correspondent was respectful, I felt she was being somewhat dismissive of my views. How typical of her generation she was I don't know but I hope the young can give us elders a little compassion now and then. Many of us already feel the cold winds of eternal night as they begin to blow through our aging joints and we may rant and rage. Some of us have waited most of our lives for the global awakening, scarcely daring to dream it might happen before we pass on. In our enthusiasm and/or impatience we may overreact, repeat old behaviours, regress to the 60s.....
Don't take our rants too personally. They’re just the last desperate and/or joyous cries of a passing generation. If there's a kernel of truth in what we say, run with it. If it’s empty noise, smile kindly at us and move on.
I think we elders still have a lot to teach but, I have to admit, not always what we think! Many of us serve best as excellent bad examples. And that's not such a bad role. It can be fun - in an cranky, off-beat, liberating sort of way. We don't have to impress and because we have already lived through so much, we now have less to lose but still lots to give. We can listen, support, and lend a little historical perspective now and then if it seems essential. But, let’s be honest, many of our tired old fears and dated approaches - no matter how relevant they once were - belong to another era. And the oppressors already have scripts and weapons to defeat our bygone tactics.
I am really impressed by the sophistication of some of the young this time around (those behind 38 Degrees and Avaaz spring to mind). They are way ahead of where my generation of activists were in the 60s, 70s and 80s, when the opposition could so easily divide, divert and disrupt our movements. It’s critical that the young continue to take the lead (and I'm more than happy to ride piggy back on the innovations they bring). I hope they break the rules, choose the direction, attempt the impossible, seek allies everywhere, facilitate meetings, build momentum, goad us into a greater awakening, and keep the rest of us uncomfortable, off-balance, and wondering what will happen next.
And the cartoon below? A Google search under 'aging activists' didn't bear much fruit but it did come up with this cartoon. OK, it's a tongue in cheek take-off of the seven ages of man but it did prompt me to think of what my 'activism curve' might look like. I've superimposed it in red and I'm comfortable with the message it gives: the older I get, the angrier I'm getting! I hope I don’t ever lose my passion or desire to take action for what I believe in.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I see some Dylan Thomas reflected in your musings there! Despite what this young lady has said, I'm a young-ish lady and I still look to you for advice and words of wisdom...