Wednesday 15 November 2017

Don't waste your time trolling me: I don't care.

Just one of the many joys of writing about Brexit is that you get your very own trolls with a lovely line in vitriol. What is it about Brexiteers that makes them so sensitive? It’s difficult to understand what they imagine they’re achieving by doing it. Although, truth be told, I don’t really mind as it’s possible it’s some sort of therapy for them and they clearly lack more productive outlets for their views. Perhaps it's my contribution to 'Care in the Community'.

There are a few reasons I don’t worry at all about the slurs and insults. After all, if you dish it out you can’t complain about being kicked in return. It would be nice, though, if some of them could display just a modicum of wit, or anything approaching a sense of humour, or indeed anything approaching the ability to spell. Sometimes it would be nice to be attacked for what I’ve actually said, instead of what the person thinks I said. Another reason for not minding too much is that, thanks to the wonders of modern technology, it’s remarkably easy to set up filters to catch all the hateful missives from my regular adversaries. Their communications go directly into the trash folder without me ever seeing them – unless I deliberately look in the trash, which I very rarely do.  So they throw brickbats at me in vain. They assume I care what they think. They are wrong. I. could. not. care. less.

But the most important reason I don’t mind about being the target of insults and abuse is that it means that my messages are getting through. Someone who spends their valuable (?) time writing to inform me, in 'robust' terms, that I'm having no influence or affect is disproving their own argument by the mere fact of their interest in my opinion. 

So, it’s pretty clear that I’m having a strong affect on that person. And that makes me all the more determined to continue. And I shall.

No comments: