Saturday 23 January 2021

A tale of two sisters

My colourisation experiment today features a photograph from over ninety years ago of two girls posing in a seaside studio with a parasol. The photograph was taken in Brighton on the breezy south coast of England, where parasols tend to be confined to the photographers' studio. The date of the photograph I estimate as 1929 or there about. The young girl on the right of the picture, as we look at it, is my dad's cousin, Audrey Kent and the one on the left is her sister Zeili. I met them several times when I was young but really can't remember that much about them. I know Zeili had a fixation on collecting stamps for charity, even to the extent of cutting stamps off birth, marriage and death certificates, much to my chagrin as she also clipped out useful information on some. Audrey was, by all accounts, quite an accomplished ballet dancer and ran a ballet school in Brighton for many years. Her most famous students were the daughters of Lawrence Olivier and Joan Plowright. Neither Zeili nor Audrey married and they lived together for most of their lives. They look very close in the photograph and I think the colourised version highlights the spark in Audrey's character.



No comments: