Monday 23 July 2012

It's all pretty depressing at the moment, isn't it?

There seems to have been an incredible amount going on in the news, politics especially, in the last few months and it's been difficult for me to keep up blogging wise. Usually when I read a story that piques my interest, I think "I’ll write about that when I get time".  And by the time I actually have the time another scandal has erupted gloriously across the online media world

Just think about what we've gone through recently: celebrities avoiding tax, the potential O-level re-introduction, children abandoned in pubs, EU referendum talk, the Libor scandal, police cuts, people setting themselves on fire outside the Job Centre, the Queen meeting Martin McGuinness, George Osbourne's apparent fall from grace, Lords reform, poor young Chloe Smith getting offered up as a human sacrifice, the G4S debacle, the ongoing Leveson enquiry etc etc

Right now I’m looking at the political headlines and, despite the news of Bradley Wiggins' victory in the Tour de France and the impending media orgy of the Big O, the banking scandal still rumbles on. As if we needed reassuring that the bankers were/are a bad lot.  Good old Tony Robinson has come to the conclusion that bankers are not human, which might explain something. He's worth a watch here, as he indulges in the best rant I’ve seen in recent times.

Other headlines seem to concern what has become the standard fare of late: cuts, ‘reforms’, cuts, EU, cuts, banks, cuts....... All rather depressing really and by the time I hit 'Publish' no doubt a new demoralising scandal will have emerged.  Thank goodness we've got the warm weather to distract us - although we'll soon be complaining that it's too hot!

No comments: