Tuesday 10 July 2012

Kindly adjust your dress.........................

.........................before standing up in front of a group of 30 women! More of that later. Today was my last scheduled talk about bread making to a local group, this time to the Launceston branch of the WI. I spent an enjoyable morning baking for it and tried a few different breads to make it more interesting for me. The full list, and a few notes to myself, follows:

1.  Pesto swirl - this time with more pesto and olive oil.
2. Chocolate bread - glazed with honey, the temperature of which was too hot and caused a little lifting of the crust.
3. Rosemary and olive oil foccacio - with more olive oil than usual and a good sprinkling of sea salt.
4. White undertin loaf - in the mode of Pearce's of Kelly Bray.
5. Plain white loaf - boring!
6. Bread horns - just for fun.
7. Grisini/breadsticks - the double twists looked good.
8. Good old chick pea, coriander and cumin flatbread.
9.  Raisin and fennel seed fougasse - with a few aniseed seeds thrown in for a slightly different flavour.
10. Plain bagels - boiled with some malt extract before baking.

And then it was off to the talk itself - at the very elegant Eagle House Hotel in Launceston.  I thought I'd got off to a good start until one of the organisers came up and whispered in my ear that my fly was half undone! Unfortunately this was rather a stage whisper and everyone in the audience knew what was going on. A quick adjustment later and I continued, albeit with a redder face than when I started. Lots of questions after I had finished but not before one of the members (who must have been well over 80) shocked me, but amused her friends, by saying that "they thought they were going to see my baguette at the beginning". Another red face for me and I changed the focus rapidly by suggesting that it was time to taste what I had brought. The chocolate bread and pesto swirl were voted the favourates and these almost completely disappeared in double quick time.

Time to give demonstration baking a rest for a while, methinks.

No comments: