Wednesday 19 September 2012

Voting reform: next steps

"It's all very well having a moan but what am I going to do about it? I'll write about this in a short while".  The final sentence from an earlier blog. So, what am I going to do about it? To do nothing is not an option as it would mean that I'd be colluding with the status quo and relying on others to press for the changes I'd like. No, it's more than that: I think the changes are essential to bring the people back to politics. Here's my list:

1.  Vote at every opportunity and challenge anyone who says that voting is not worth it.
2.  Write to my MP and any other relevant politician about the need for voting reforms.
3.  I have just taken out a subscription with the Electoral Reform Society which seems to be the only group actively campaigning for the changes I want. Their aims are "We're working to build a better democracy, to strengthen democratic governance, to maximise voter participation, and to ensure fairness and equality are the principles at the heart of our elections". And these seem fine to me. 
4.  I'll put a link to the ERS facebook page on my Facebook page and, in this way, I'll be kept up-to-date with their campaigns and any actions I can take.

I think that's probably enough to be getting on with.

No comments: