* Start at Bennett's Cross, just passed the Warren House Inn on the Postbridge to Moretonhampstead road.
* Follow the Two Moors Way around Birch Tor and onto Hookney Tor.
* Descend to Grimspound Neolithic village/settlement.
* Ascend to Hameldown Tor and then follow the ridge to Two Barrows.
* Descend into the Challacombe Valley and head to the mediaeval village of Challacombe.
* Follow the track through the Vitifer and Golden Dagger Mines and slowly ascend to the starting point at Bennett's Cross.
Well worth doing for the views alone. Despite a few showers, and some hail, the visibility was pretty good considering the conditions. And now a few photographs to give a flavour of the terrain.
|Looking down to Grimspound - around 4000 years old and thought to have been a settlement. the outer wall encloses some 24 hut circles.|
|Looking back up to Hookney Tor, just about 1500 ft high.|
|Is this the right way to wear one of these neck scarves?|
|Don't ask me!|
|A dark Dartmoor sky - luckily this weather front passed us by relatively unscathed.|
|Watching the world go by and wondering if that cloud above is heading our way.|
|If I don't mention it, someone else will. Got back to the car to take off boots and put on something lighter. Found that I had packed the right feet of two different styles of shoes. A senior moment?|