Monday 6 January 2014

Luciano Pavarotti vs James Brown

I'm not normally a fan of 'cross-over' music: mixing different genres generally doesn't work for me. I do, however, like the pairing of Luciano Pavarotti and James Brown performing Brown's 'It's a man's world together'. I say pairing because, to my mind, it's not a duet by any stretch of the imagination. I came across this through a Human Rights website I dip into. It mentioned the charity work that Pavarotti had been involved in and the annual "Pavarotti and Friends" charity concerts he held in his home town of Modena.  The list of those joining him on stage is interesting (Andrea Bocelli, Jon Bon Jovi, Bryan Adams, Bono, James Brown, Mariah Carey, Eric Clapton, Sheryl Crow, CĂ©line Dion, Anastacia, Elton John, Deep Purple, Meat Loaf, Queen, George Michael, Sting and the Spice Girls). I've only been brave enough to listen to one other 'pairing' and that's the one with post-Mercury Queen. Truly ghastly and something to pass over very quickly.

They both put in an excellent performance within their own styles but it's clear that he (Brown) recognises who his superior is. A very enjoyable way to spend 4.40 minutes!


No comments: