Sunday 13 November 2016

From Leonard Cohen to cowbells

Extremely sad to hear of the demise of Leonard Cohen. Listening to some of his obituaries took me right back to when I first heard him. 1967 when I was a sallow, but long-haired and extravagantly bewhiskered, student at Aberystwyth. Suzanne was a favourite track of mine and, although I was never angst-ridden, his voice and lyrics resonated with me, as they did with many others.

And thinking about Leonard Cohen and 1967 lead me to think of another song from this year: The Chambers Brothers' 'Time has come today'. I haven't heard it for ages but I think it stands the test of time. I've always liked the cowbell/tick-tock opening.

And thinking about the cowbells at the beginning of 'Time has come today' lead me to think of other songs I knew that featured cowbells.
Two sprung to mind immediately: Honky Tonk Women by the Rolling Stones and Low Rider by War.

Surprise, surprise. It turns out that there are a number of websites that will give you lists of songs that feature cowbells, should you wish to take it further. I don't. But I will dig out my Cohen music and mumble along with the master.







No comments: