Tuesday 7 May 2019

USA 2019: Bryce Canyon again.

Today saw us returning to Bryce Canyon to pick up on a few things we didn't do yesterday. This time we parked just outside of the park and took the free shuttle bus in as we wanted to do a linear walk along the upper rim from Bryce Point down to Sunset/Sunrise Points - about 3 miles or so. It worked out well. A plan to take a trail further down into the canyon was thwarted by rock fall which resulted in the closure of this particular trail. All the others were way too ambitious for the time we had and, let's be honest, our capabilities! We finished off the day with another trail down at Red Canyon. This was around 2 miles and was rather more adventurous than we expected but it gave us another perspective on the landscape. At the end of all this, we can put a tick in the Bryce box and now we move on to Zion.
I'm intending to pull together all of my wildlife shots into a single compilation at a later stage but here a few as a preview of what is to come. I'll start with the rear end of a Black Tailed Jack Rabbit. The best I could do for this one.
Another Uinta Chipmunk, bringing the total of our sightings to two.
There were lots of swifts flitting around the sides of the canyon and I thought I'd take a picture. Around 300 frames later, this is pretty typical of what I ended up with. There's one there somewhere: spot it if you can, because I can't.
Walking the rim is a great way to see the walls and hoodoos from different angles.
I wonder what a collection of hoodoos is called? A coven, perhaps?
These reminded us of the Angor Wat temple complex in Cambodia.
We walked pretty much all of the rim seen in this image.
I like the variations in colour in this coven. Some were almost white.
A lone tree growing on the top of a column. It never ceases to amaze me that trees will survive in the most unlikely of places.
Whilst on the subject of trees, back at Red Canyon we came across many Limber Pine trunks around the paths. Amazing shapes. I think this one might look intriguing in monochrome when I get back.
Looking up to the walls through Ponderosa Pines and a few small hoodoos.

No comments: