Thursday 3 November 2011

The Oracle of Risca has spoken - be afraid, be very afraid.


My mother-in-law is fond of saying "things come in threes" and I'm wondering what she would make of the terrible trio now facing us.

#1: The global financial crisis and its various manifestations.
#2: Global warming and its implications.
#3: The increase in global population and what that means for future generations. Future generations? Actually, that sounds somewhat abstract - let's make it personal and use "my children and grandchildren". Take a look at this chart from Nature News (published online October 19th 2011 at http://www.nature.com/news/2011/111019/full/478300a/box/1.html)
Of course, there are many who will downplay each and everyone of the above (look out for vested interests who want to maintain the status quo - ask yourself "why?") and say that human ingenuity will triumph. I wish I could agree with that view but I can't. It's a mess and the worrying thing is that I detect no cogent arguments for the best way forward. No cogent arguments at the state level from the political classes, that is, but plenty of activity lower down the pecking order - witness what is happening outside of St Paul's and elsewhere. I'm not so naive to believe that such demonstrations will change the world but it is heartening to realise that there is an increasing level of discontent felt by many people. How can this all be channelled into making real changes for the better? I can offer no solutions apart from taking every opportunity to engage with the real world (and I don't mean the world of soporific celebrity and impoverishing consumerism) and not accepting that more of the same will pull us through. It won't....and on that cheerful note, I'm off to get my porridge!


No comments: