Sunday 30 October 2011

In praise of Private Eye

I'm a huge fan of Private Eye. I like pretty much everything about it: its daring attitude, the way it puts two fingers up to the establishment, the cartoons and the fact that no one is sacred or untouchable (which sometimes makes for some uncomfortable reading). It's all still packaged in quite an old fashioned sort of way - not that far removed from cut and paste really. The covers are something else - always very funny or bluntly to the point but never too complicated or too clever for their own good.
It's been going since 1961 and I've been a regular reader since 1964 (I know I was certainly reading it when I was doing my GCE 'O' levels). Despite not always agreeing with what it contains or sometimes (but not that often) thinking that they've gone over the line of good taste, I've never been remotely tempted to give it up. If not Private Eye, what is there in the same category? Nothing at all and that, in a way, is a condemnation of the British press.
My favourite pieces? I've always had a soft-spot for The Cloggies, Barry McKenzie and the writings of Claud Cockburn and Paul Foot. Oh, and the various cartoonists.
How long can it continue? Let's hope that it does without changing too much. Its perspective is much needed.

No comments: