Sunday 24 February 2013

I don't do favourites

Every now and again I'm delighted to get a comment on one of my blogs from someone who has stumbled across it. Here's a question that came to me from Chicago in response to my piece on the Best Radio Show You've Never Heard.
Can you name your top five musical acts? One being your all-time favourite?
My answer is no.  How could anyone possibly say what their favourite piece of music is? Or their favourite book? I just don't have the inclination or energy to categorise things in this way. I know it's a really curmudgeonly answer but it's true.  The dictionary definition of 'favourite' is  a person or thing regarded with especial preference or liking.  Well, I've got lots of those, all listed in this song..................................

No comments: