Wednesday 10 February 2010

As I went down to the woods today....

A short walk in Excelsior Woods this afternoon. A crisp, clear day and a pleasure to be out and about, albeit for only an hour or so. And what did I see?

I saw my first frogspawn of the year.

I saw the tunnel of the old Excelsior Mine.

I saw the warning sign and did not go in - not because I obeyed orders but because I did not have my wellies and the water looked deeper than my boots could cope with!

I saw an old wheelpit, probably driven by water coming in at the top. In fact, an overshot waterwheel.
I saw a flooded mineshaft. How deep I could not guess.
I saw that my car was stuck in the mud and I had to wait for a sweet lady to help me out (she put the car in reverse and I pushed..........or was it vice versa?!)

And so ended a very pleasant afternoon.

No comments: