Sunday 21 February 2010

Much ado about nothing

Another Sunday and another day pottering about. Dai and family with us and it's always good to have the grandchildren around. But that's not what I'm going to blog about today.

I thought I ought to mention, rather belatedly, the Gordon Brown/Piers Morgan programme. I watched it whilst we were on holiday. I'm not sure that this would have been the case if we'd been at home. I'm not a fan of Piers Morgan; neither am I are fan of his style of lightweight interviewing. Added to this is the fact that, with the General Election looming, any interview with a leading politician is going to an exercise in PR. So, against this background, what did I think of it? Piers Morgan was a prat who made sure that proceedings were kept at a superficial level. Gordon Brown was not asked any really probing questions and was given the opportunity to to show his 'human face'. Yes, he is a family man; yes, he had a personal tragedy in the loss of a daughter; yes, he has a temper; yes, his wife shed tears and looked lovingly in turns when in camera shot. So, nothing revealing really. What will be the result? Probably not a lot. I don't think that the Great British Public will be swayed by one programme like this and it still leaves Gordon Brown and New Labour with a hard task. Of course, I could be wrong. I hope so because I think a Conservative win is not going to be good for the poor of this country.

No comments: