Sunday 16 February 2014

Climate Change: who to believe?

One of the good things, if it may be described as such, to come out of the recent flooding and storms is that climate change is firmly back on the political agenda.  It was always going to take a disaster in the UK (yes, we really are that parochial and blinkered) before people would really take it seriously: perhaps this is the event that's going to do it? 

It was interesting to see former Thatcher chancellor Nigel Lawson going head-to-head with Met’ Office Chief Scientist Professor Julia Slingo – completely destroying her scientific assessments that the recent extreme weather conditions were almost certainly the result of climate change with the devastating scientific argument that she is just : “this Julia Slingo woman“.

I'll admit that I don’t know too much about the science behind climate change but I'm always willing to learn something new. So let’s take a look at who is most likely to be right between Lawson and Sligo on the scientific arguments around climate change. I know which one I'll believe.

And, if you think this is a one-off, just tell me the name of one respected scientist in the UK with a detailed knowledge of climatology who sides with Lawson? As I said earlier, I'm always willing to learn.

No comments: